Busy schedules. Low energy. Boredom. There could be a variety of things standing in the way from enjoying that awesome feeling after a workout.
To give you a little friendly nudge in the right direction, here are 10 ways to get your fitness motivation back. Pick 1 or 2 if your favorites and try it out… today. Don’t forget to tag us on social media #Wellbeats so we can cheer you on!
1. Give yourself a “mini reward”. No, we’re not necessarily talking donuts and candy bars, but try to think of something you can enjoy right after a workout. Maybe it’s phoning a friend you’ve been wanting to catch up with, doing a fun activity with your kids, taking a bubble bath, grabbing a protein smoothie, taking a guilt-free nap, or walking your dog.
2. Go outside your comfort zone. Always wanted to try yoga? Resort to the same exercises when you go to the gym? Luckily, Wellbeats offers a wide variety of workouts so you can test out the waters – whether it’s cycling, yoga, kickboxing, Pilates, HIIT, or even dancing. If something piques your interest, but you’re nervous to start, almost all Wellbeats channels include a “basic-level” or tutorial class so you can feel confident enough to get started.
3. Keep it short and manageable. …Especially in the beginning. If you’re just coming off a non-workout hiatus, now might not be the time for a grueling, advanced-level workout. Get back in the groove with a workout that is short and doable. You can find workouts in as little as 15 minutes on Wellbeats – so you can feel good about what you accomplished and more motivated to keep on going.
4. Find a new workout outfit or pair of shoes that make you feel comfortable and confident. When we already feel good on the outside, it can impact our mood and how we feel on the inside.
5. Write out your workouts for the entire month. Keep a calendar for which workouts you will be taking (including rest days!) for the next 30 days. This will help keep you on track, and not wasting time searching or second-guessing on what workout to take next. To alleviate the time and energy in creating a workout plan, you can enroll in one of Wellbeats’ goal-based workout plans which includes a day-by-day schedule of workouts.
6. Be prepared! Stock up your workout attire and fill up your water bottle the night before. If you’re working at home, leave your workout clothes and shoes neatly next to your nightstand so you can quickly reach for it the next morning. Or if you’re working at a gym or on-the-go, pack it in a backpack and leave by the door so you don’t forget.
7. Focus on the internal feeling, not the physical result. It’s easy to think about the physical benefits of working out – to fit in those jeans, gain more muscle, or lose weight. Instead, focus on the internal feeling you get immediately after a workout: the confidence, endorphins, and feeling strong!
8. Remember: every move matters. Don’t stress about planning a full workout every single day. Instead, focus on areas in your everyday routine that you could make better. For example, take the stairs instead of the elevator at work. Opt for a standing desk or create your own. Go for a “walking meeting” instead of the usual conference call at your desk. Get creative – but get movin’!
9. Celebrate your successes. If it helps, jot down 5 successful healthy changes you have made in your life – however big or small. When you focus on how far you’ve come, it can boost confidence in where you are in the present moment and reassure that you are, indeed, making progress!
10. Find a workout partner. Find like-minded individuals, a family member, co-worker or friend, and keep each other accountable and motivated when the other is falling short.
We hope you enjoye these 10 ways to get your fitness motivation back. Remember: just choose 1 or 2 of the options above and get to it! Don’t forget to tag us on Facebook or Instagram so we can support you using #Wellbeats on social media.
If you’re still feeling stuck, download the Wellbeats 5 Days of Fitness Motivation Challenge. This includes actionable steps to accomplish every day for the next 5 days. Grab a friend and do it together. You’ve got this!