September is Self-Care Awareness Month, a time to remember that taking care of yourself is essential. Self-care is anything you do to stay physically, mentally, and emotionally well.
Engaging in a self-care routine has been clinically proven to reduce or eliminate anxiety and depression, reduce stress, and increase happiness along with reducing heart disease, stroke, and cancer; it can also help you find meaning in life.
Self-care benefits your own physical health and mental wellbeing, but the benefits of self-care reach far beyond yourself. You’re better able to show up in your personal and professional lives when you make time to care for yourself.
Take time this month to prioritize self-care, and remember, self-care doesn’t have to be time-consuming, demanding, or complicated. To help get you started, some of your favorite Wellbeats instructors are sharing their best self-care tips—including their own favorite ways to practice self-care.
Self-Care Tips from Josh K.
My self-care tip is simple: Do something that brings you JOY! Obviously, bigger items, like travel, are huge on my list. But my easy-to-do items are:
- Go see a movie to escape work and life.
- FaceTime a friend for a lunch “date.”
- Surprise someone with a personal card or letter.
- Indulge in a small treat (I looooove peanut butter).
Self-Care Tips from Elizabeth S.
Exercise is a natural mood-booster! Prioritize self-care by prioritizing your workouts. This is now even easier to do with the scheduling feature in your Wellbeats app!
Self-Care Tips from Sophia C.
- Self-care isn’t just about treating yourself to a bath bomb, but it does come in lots of forms! And hey, maybe today it is a bath bomb.
- Make time for yourself! Don’t get caught up in an endless loop of thinking “what do I need to do next?” Those errands and lists can wait. Even if it’s just for five minutes, do something that you enjoy!
- Move! Especially if you are feeling sluggish. Go for a walk or do some yoga.
- Are you feeling unmotivated when it comes to working out? Change it up! Consistency is the key, not how you do it.
- Drink some water. No, seriously. Without water you can start to feel lethargic and drained. Plus your skin will thank you!
- Write down something you are grateful for each day.
- Meditate. Not your thing? Try sitting quietly and focus on your breath for one minute. That’s meditating and can work wonders even in a short amount of time.
- Make sleep a priority. Yes, it is something that comes every night, but pushing it off to get something done will not benefit you.
- Wake with a mantra like “I am amazing,” because you are, and sometimes you just need a little reminder.
Celebrate Self-Care Awareness Month with Wellbeats
You’re invited to celebrate Self-Care Awareness Month by checking out our “Take Care of You” program, trying a new Wellbeats class that focuses on self-care, or joining the conversation by sharing your own self-care journey with the hashtag #WellbeatsForAll.
At Wellbeats, we believe that wellbeing isn’t just for some—it’s for all. Wellbeats gives people of every age, interest, body type, situation, and ability level the same opportunity to live a healthier life. We’re proud to provide an affordable, accessible, and approachable health and wellness solution that caters to our individual members’ needs and wants with personalized options.
About Wellbeats, a LifeSpeak company
Wellbeats, a LifeSpeak company is a leading provider of on-demand virtual fitness, nutrition, and mindfulness classes for use in workplaces of all sizes, health plans, on college or university campuses, multi-family housing, the U.S. military, and fitness and health clubs. Based in St. Louis Park, MN, Wellbeats makes fitness accessible, affordable, and approachable for everyone. More than 1,000 classes and 35+ programs are available to help members stay on track and meet their goals. To learn more, visit www.wellbeats.com or check out a sampling of the company’s fitness classes during a Facebook Live class, and follow Wellbeats on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.